As a graphic designer, one of the most interesting things you’ll be taking on is creating a logo for a business, company, or website. It is a difficult task, it is very stressful, and it can seem somewhat daunting. Creating a logo by looking back at the market research, and striking gold is a difficult venture. But, when you finally design it, and release it to the general public, it will all be worth it.
But, when it comes to creating a brand identity, just a logo isn’t enough. Especially if the company is larger, you will need a complex branding system, and although a logo is very important, it is not enough on its own. But, bee you venture into creating a brand identity, you need to know the difference between what the Brand, the Identity, and the Logo.
First, let’s define a Brand. The Brand is the image of the business, it drives the emotional responses about the business, as well as the things that business offers. There are many different definitions of a brand, but most would agree that a brand is a collection of different stories, relationships, expectations, bound together to a picture of the company in the mind of the customer.
An Identity is different than a Brand. The Identity of the company is basically the a collection of all the different visual devices that represent the company in the public eye. The Identity is something that holds the image of company together, by collecting the visual part and guidelines of the company. There are many different visual components and creating a company identity is actually a really complex thing.
The definition of a Logo is pretty obvious. It is something that identifies the company, it is the central piece in the image of the company. The Logo is usually a logotype or an icon.
How do you design a Logo?
The Logo can be designed in many different ways. Although there are countless ways of approaching this, usually what happens is designers sketching many, many different ideas logos on a paper or on a computer. A computer is more efficient to work on, but most designers choose to work on a paper because it helps them be more creative. Depending on what works you, you can choose one or the other.
Probably the hardest part of creating a logo is finally choosing one to be the representative of the company. You can hundreds of amazing logos, but picking one is difficult. You have to trust your instincts and go with the right one. There is no magic mula, you have to sweat it out.
Some of Fortune 500 big brands based in Houston
What is the first thing you think of when somebody mentions Rolex?
You probably think about a high quality watch which isn’t exactly on the cheap side. Why do you think that is? It’s because Rolex has established a strong brand identity, and it has become very easily recognizable.
So you can conclude that brand identity is really important for a business. It is one of the most valuable things for the business, and it is basically the thing that represents it among the people.
Creating a great and recognizable brand is not that easy though. There are a lot of things that go into it. One of the most important things is to actually know how your own brand is doing. Think about it. Does your own business have an established brand identity?
If the answer to that question is no, you can learn a lot from this post. Although you may think establishing a brand is easy work, but it is really not.
What is exactly Brand Identity?
What a brand basically is is what represents the business or company in the public eye. The name of the business, the symbol, what represents it and defines it. Think of the bitten apple logo of the company Apple. It is a very strong symbol, and you immediately think of the company when you see it. That is great brand identity.
What is the Brand Identity Prism?
Experts in the field, more precisely an expert named Jean-Noel Kapferer, has created a model which is called the Brand Identity Prism. It basically gives six different aspects of the identity of a brand. They are: Culture, Relationship, Reflection, Self-Image, Personality, and Physique. All of these elements are important for the identity of a brand, and each of them needs to be developed for the brand to be powerful.
1. Culture is what defines the values and the principles in the foundation of the business. Some companies base their brand culture on sharing, some base it on love, some base it on something else.
2. The Relationship represents the relationship between the brand and the people. Companies often try to establish a friendly and loyal relationship between themselves and the people who use their services.
3. Reflection is basically the image of the perfect customer of the service or product. You could say it represents the target market. Some companies have perfect customers in the form of people over the age of 60, some have their perfect customers in the form of teens.
4. Self image is the ideal image a consumer sees themselves in. Experts in this field really now how to create a great self image for their consumers, which makes the brand identity powerful. Take Coca-Cola as an example. The self image of the customers may be a person who is communicative and social, outgoing and who has a lot of friends.
5. Personality is the character of the brand. It is basically what the brand communicates to the people and to the outside world. A lot of things go into this, and the personality of the brand can be manipulated in many different ways. The colors, the style of the design, the font, all of these things affect the personality of the brand.
6. The physique is basically what the name says, the physical part of the brand. The physique is all you can see with your eyes. It is the colors, the logo, all of the things that are solid and not abstract. Everything that represents the brand in the physical realm. And it is really important for the identity of the brand.
What do you usually do when you heard of a product, service or business? 87% of the respondents of the survey conducted by Visible Logic proved that what most of us usually do is look for their website. This is why every business out there must consider having excellent web design for success.